- Mr Ricky Lai FCG HKFCG(PE), Company Secretary, China Renewable Energy Investment Limited
- Ms Carmen Lam FCG HKFCG, Senior Lecturer in Corporate Governance; and Corporate Secretaryship and Compliance, Hong Kong Metropolitan University
For the enhancement of corporate governance, listed companies shall address to the interests of their shareholders, including minority shareholders. In reality, the majority shareholders usually take absolute control over the board of directors and thus dictates the corporate actions of the companies. This situation is particularly common while most of the listed companies in Hong Kong are of a family-owned status and are dominated by majority shareholders.
Since 1 January 2022, Hong Kong Stock Exchange has updated Appendix 3 with an introduction of Core Shareholder Protection Standards (“Core Standard”) to provide the same level of protection to all shareholders of listed companies. The speakers will give an overview of Core Standards and share their views on whether shareholders’ protection, especially minority shareholders in Hong Kong, are sufficient under the current regulatory framework; with additional safeguards for further implementation and improvement as well as the roles of company secretaries and investor relations.
In this seminar, the following items will be covered:
- Shareholders’ protection in corporate actions, notifiable and connected transactions
- How can Appendix 3 - Core Shareholder Protection Standards improve shareholders’ protection?
- Shareholders’ protection under the Companies Ordinance, Listing Rules, SFO and Takeovers Code
- Importance of the disclosure of corporate information
- Application of disclosure of interests in securities by corporate insiders
- Roles of the company secretary and investor relations in shareholders’ protection
Mr Ricky Lai
Ms Carmen Lam
Seat guarantee will only be given to HKCGI Fellows and/or Practitioner’s Endorsement (PE) holders if registered 10 clear working days with payment prior to the date of the seminar.